<< BACK |

jcctext

2200 Western2200 detail

The Union Stables building dates from 1909, a time of rapid development along Seattle's Western Avenue. The four-story unreinforced brick masonry and heavy timber building was constructed for Benjamin & Maddocks, a successful local livery firm established in the late 19th century. When completed, the new Union Stables was called a "magnificent new brick and concrete fireproof building...[with] every stall well lighted and ventilated." The present warehouse building will be adapted for a mix of new uses with retail and commercial spaces above a sub-grade parking garage. Exterior masonry facades will be restored, windows reconstructed and replaced in-kind, and new entries and a roof-top penthouse and terrace created.

BOLA consulted with the property owner / developer regarding financial incentives for historic preservation and prepared the local landmark and National Register nominations for listing the property. Ongoing work includes design reviews with the owner's architect, Weinstein A/U, and preparation of the Certified Rehabilitation application for Federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits.