everett


Electricity was first brought to the Pacific Northwest in 1898 when the Snoqualmie Falls Power Company was established to produce hydro-generated electricity at Snoqualmie Falls, a 270-foot waterfall located 35 miles southeast of Seattle.

BOLA’s early phases of work at the Snoqualmie Falls Hydroelectric Project included Historic Structure Reports (HSRs) to document the history and existing conditions of two cast-in-place concrete buildings at Plant 2 -- the Power House and the Gatehouse -- which were primary structures in the expansion facility in 1910 and again in 1957.  BOLA also prepared HSRs for the wood-framed Train Depot, Garage and Carpenter Shop at Plant 1.

Work undertaken at Plant 1 and Plant 2, on both sides of the Snoqualmie River, has included preservation treatment recommendations, technical specifications, adaptive use design for two buildings in the historic district, and the design for four new structures: the Power House and Gatehouse at Plant 2, the Intake Building, and a Shelter structure for a salvaged generation unit at Plant 1.  Current work includes Construction Administration for the four new structures and three historic buildings.

These scopes are some of the many efforts that have been undertaken by Puget Sound Energy to integrate power generation and license requirements, planning objectives, preservation issues, and reuse of historically significant resources within this National Register Historic District.