Snoqualmie Falls Hydroelectric Facility Snoqualmie, Washington
Electricity was first brought to the Pacific Northwest in 1898 when the Snoqualmie Falls Power Company was established to produce hydro-generated electricity at Snoqualmie Falls, a 270-foot waterfall located 35 miles southeast of Seattle.
BOLA’s work at the Snoqualmie Falls Hydroelectric Project began with feasibility plans for a museum (by its predecessor, BWA) in the mid 1990s. In 2004, BOLA undertook Historic Structure Reports (HSRs) to document the history and existing conditions of two cast-in-place concrete buildings located downstream of the falls -- a Power House and a Gatehouse -- which dated from the facility expansion in 1910, and again in 1957. BOLA also prepared HSRs for the wood-framed Train Depot, Garage and Carpenter Shop which are located near the upper edge of the falls.
The work undertaken above and downstream of the falls on the Snoqualmie River included preservation treatment recommendations, technical specifications, adaptive use design for three buildings to house exhibits in the historic district, and the design for four new structures: a Power House and Gatehouse, an Intake Building, and a Shelter to exhibit a salvaged generator unit from the original underground cavity. The design scope also included construction administration for the four new structures and three historic buildings, which was completed in 2014.
These scopes were undertaken by Puget Sound Energy to integrate power generation and license requirements, planning objectives, preservation issues, and reuse of historically significant resources within the National Register Historic District.